Saturday, July 23, 2005

Chateau de Menthon St.- Bernard


Chateau de Menthon St.- Bernard
Originally uploaded by mtnester.
Talk about waking up and thinking you were in a fairy tale; this is what we could see by looking out Gerard and Moniques' kitchen window. The Lords of Menthon who have had descendents since the 11th century, still occupy the premises of the castle. I hiked up to it alone on my second morning in France and took the tour.(Something, to my surprise, that Anna Rae has not done!) The tour is set up like a theatre production; as you move from room to room you are greeted by young actors and actresses dressed in 11th century garb and they take on a role and tell you about the room you are in; unfortunately for me it was all in French. I really enjoyed it just the same and if I ever go back I would do it again...with a translator!

No comments: