Sunday, October 15, 2006

A Changing View

Well, now that the big grey house behind us nears completion I must alter our landscape to cope with the changing view. So I went out and bought two new trees. One is a Pin Oak. I have always loved oaks and associate them with the two stately trees which graced my grandparents' farm house front lawn. From one of their trees hung a porch swing which easily held myself and two or three of my siblings or cousins. It took two of us working together to get it to swing straight. The other tree held a simple board swing that had long, thick ropes. We could fly so high that it took us to that edge of exhilaration that is tinged with white knuckled fear. My skinny-kid arms couldn't come close to circling the trunks of those oaks. The Pin Oak I planted will not reach that impressive size in my lifetime but every time I look at it I will remember the happy adventures of my childhood visits to the farm.

1 comment:

Tanya Mau-Halsall said...

What sweet special memories for sure....