Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Blooms of April



April has been full, blooming full. Spring in Seattle is over the top, crazy with color. Yesterday was windy and as I drove through the Green Lake area, pink petals blew like snow across my windshield and filled the street's gutters. The Arboretum had it's aptly named Florabundance sale and I exercised my restraint than usual. I bought a few coleus, 3 Ilex Crenata (Sky Pencil) which are only 8 inches high right now but someday I hope they make a hedge to shut off the view of the neighbor's waste cans. My big splurge was a Japaneses woodland orchid (yellow). I never thought I would say I am running out of space, but I am, especially sunny space, and that I am reserving for more vegetables this year. So what is in the ground so far? Tomatoes, potatoes, lettuce, and sunflowers.

No comments: