Monday, April 26, 2010

My New 'Baby'

This is the info that I found on the internet for the Japanese hardy orchid I bought on Saturday. I sure hope they are right and it is easy to grow. At $18. it was a splurge for me!

Calanthe sieboldii
Calanthe sieboldii: Japanese name is KI-EBINE (= yellow EBINE) and it is the second most common species after Calanthe discolor in Japan. Blooming season is May-June and it has yellow flowers. The height is 25-50 cm, bigger than Calanthe discolor. This plant is found under deciduous trees in the Southern part of Japan (mainly in Kyushu and Shikoku). It is less hardy than Calanthe discolor.
Growing Tips: prefer drained soil like a mixture of leaf mold and pumice but you can also grow it in usual soil; loves a sunny place in winter-spring and half-shade place in summer; less hardy than Calanthe discolor; easy to grow.


1 comment:

Mrs4444 said...

Better you than me--I'd certainly kill my investment! Good luck!