Saturday, June 07, 2008

Red Trumpets



Is this weigala? I suspect so. I always call it the Flaming Trumpet shrub. It was probably planted in 1953 as part of the original landscaping. It doesn't do much for me aesthetically much of the year but it sure is lovely in June. I have considered pulling it out but I am not sure what I put in it's place. This south fence line is one of my tricky spots. As trees have been cut down and BIG houses built in adjacent lots the sun to shade ratio has changed. The crocosmia loves this space. But what to put in front of the crocosmia? This year's experiment is hardy begonias.

I cannot believe how cold it is today. We have space heaters running both upstairs and down. We are not about to turn on the furnace after yesterday's oil prices hitting a record high of $139. a barrel. Seattlites have always said that summer begins on the 5th of July. That certainly seems to be the case this year!

I should be working on report cards so I really have to wrap this post up. I just have to say that if my garden wasn't my blog focus I would be talking plenty about Obama winning the Democratic nomination. I'm delighted to be taking part in this historic election. G.W.is one Bush I've been eager to 'pull out' for nearly 8 years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, it looks like a Weigela to me, though who knows what variety?

This is one of those plants that drives me crazy because nearly everyone mispronounces it. It's correctly pronounced wy-GEE-la, however everyone insists on saying wy-GEE-LEE-a.

I know…picky, picky, picky.

Diana said...

I think you're right. Looks like a weigela. I think it looks quite lovely where it is. Fence lines are tough. Have you considered a wavy sort of line of plantings with some vines along the fence and a variety of plants going in and out making a curve rather than a straight line? Slap me; I can't help butting in on the gardens of others.