Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Nuts!

Every summer our hazelnut bush/tree has branches hanging heavy with nuts. The squirrels get busy long before they are ripe. In the 18 years we have lived in this house I have only eaten one ripe nut and that one I found on the ground as I was doing garden clean up in September. This picture was taken 2 weeks or more ago and today there is nary a nut in sight. I have tried picking them unripe and then laying them between newspaper in the garden shed but that was unsuccessful. I know my grandma could ripen hazelnuts in that way, but I must be missing some part of the trick because it did not work for me. This morning I picked blackberries in the vacant lot next door. Not quite enough for a pie, but almost! Time to vacuum and make this place presentable because tomorrow my mom and dad arrive from Wisconsin! I also have 3 home visits to incoming kindergartners to make this afternoon. Summer really is winding down. Boo hoo!

No comments: