Tuesday, August 24, 2004

She Called

Well, I did have a nice long post about Anna Rae's phone call from France and everything she told me about her flight and her first impressions of Annecy (she must've said beautiful 4 times) but I lost the post. She sounded happy and really alert in spite of the grueling 24 hours of travel. She learned how to play Poker with other Rotary students and she seems to think she has a talent for the game. However no money was kept; she made that clear to me. She had a few difficulties; her luggage was not checked all the way to Geneva as thought; fortunately she did realize this in Paris and collected her baggage there. Air France wanted to charge her extra for her over the shoulder style backpack; they considered it an extra carry on. They did allow her to empty it and stuff everything into one of her checked bags but it was not easy.
Figuring out where to meet her host family in the Geneva airport was challenging and she ended up having to carry 3 pieces of luggage up lots of stairs (she was not the only exchange student in this predicament).But when she called she was eating chips and guacamole with her host family and she said she loved her room. She says it has doors that open onto the lawn and the woodwork is all light colored, "very pretty" and "modern". While it is a bit smaller than her room at home I can tell she is very happy with her new quarters. And since I am tired and tomorrow I have to face the reality of my 'teacher lifestyle' kicking in I am going to call an end to this post. I have Literacy workshop to attend at 9:00. We will all have to watch Anna Rae's journal for an update as her year in Annecy begins!

1 comment:

Anna Rae said...

Hey Mom! I miss you guys! the email situation should be fixed on Saturday- some guy is coming over to work on it, and he'll show me if my camera works, i'm pretty sure that it does. I think I'm getting a cold, I have a really sore throat. Also on Saturday Marion and I are going to go and bye calling cards and a cell phone, I'm getting a prepaid one, go to www.bouyguestelecom.fr if you want to look at them. The phone will probably be pretty expensive since I'm not buying a plan, but we'll go for a cheap one. Most likely I'll start with a card that is 25€ that gives me 55mn and 2 months to use it, then i might go for the better deal that is for 35€ and gives you an extra 9€ of time for q total of 90 minutes to be used overthree months. I'll call you sat or sun unless you call me! Love you both!