Friday, February 22, 2008

Closer to Home


Back in the car, along the shoreline we went. This is the ferry dock in the Fauntleroy neighborhood. You can catch a ferry to Vashon Island or to Southworth on the Kitsap Penninsula. There are lots of islands and lots of ferry boats in the Puget Sound. This happens to be the dock closest to my house. On foggy mornings I can hear the fog horns as they warn the ferry boats traveling from dock to dock.
Well Flat Blake, you were a nice enough house guest but the conversation was kind of one sided at times. Be sure and tell the REAL Blake what a good time you had; who knows maybe he will get out to Seattle someday!

EPILOGUE: Amidst protest I put Flat Blake into an envelope along with some Seattle souvenirs and mailed him back to Oshkosh this morning. I don't know why he was complaining so much; I gave him a bigger envelope!

2 comments:

Barbara said...

What a cute number of posts about flat Blake:-)
I even recognized some of the sites from My son's visits to Seatle with his wife.
I also wanted to say what a neat room you have at school...the windows are so wonderful(I have no windows):-( Is that because the sun is an infrequent visitor??
I don't think I can leave comments on that site so I wanted to add it here.
The room seems huge too...is it as big as it looks? Lucky Girl!!
Fondly, B.

Teresa said...

Barbara! You can leave comments on the other blog too. I've just chosen not to publish any....for a variety of reasons. I always LOVE hearing from you! Comments on this site I
DO post. Yes, everyone who visits our school is wowed by the windows and the layout. A doctoral student at the UW even took photos in our room and did research on the positive effects of natural light and learning. Of course, her daughter had been a student of mine too. I think the school was built in the early 70s. The layout was designed for open concept teaching.
It is bigger than most classrooms because it is two classrooms put together. We share a common space in the middle and each of us have our own smaller (actually it is pretty tight) classroom areas off to the sides; no walls, just bookcases and cabinets to separate us. There are two drawbacks one is security; something that hardly made me flinch 15 years ago when I began teaching here. With all those windows and a low roof, we're kind of in a goldfish bowl. The other negative is all the dust that collects on the many beams in the ceiling; I'll have to post a picture of that sometime. Still, I know I have a good thing; it's a primo space. Thank you for the compliment.