Monday, February 11, 2008

Comfort Food


Winter is the time when I pull out my casserole recipes and experiment with a new one or two. This is Baked Rice with Sausage from a One Pot Meal cookbook. Upon reading, the recipe reminded me of the Spanish rice my mom fixed when I was a kid. It is probably a little healthier, I used chicken sausage instead of pork. I grilled them before tossing them into the casserole. I also used half brown rice and half jasmine rice. I tossed in extra peppers and used less onions to pacify my husband. The chicken stock was fat free. A couple brisk shakes of Tabasco was my last minute addition to zip it up a bit.
The recipe said it served four, but those four must be lumberjacks! And what a surprise to see how colorful it was when I whisked off the lid. It was delicious and I am certain we will get at least two more meals out of it.

1 comment:

the rotten correspondent said...

I'm blogging instead of making my grocery list for the week. Thanks for the great idea. That looks really good.