Sunday, January 25, 2009

Book Challenge

Grab the nearest book.
* Open the book to page 56.
* Find the fifth sentence.
* Post the text of the next two to five sentences in your blog along with these instructions.
* Don't dig for your favorite book, the cool book, or the intellectual one: pick the CLOSEST.
Rosemary at Rosemary's Blog Spot is where I found this challenge. Remember now, I don't take part in many memes,contests, or challenges, but Rosemary is a faithful blog buddy and the Book Challenge piqued my interest.
This is an 'old favorite' that I plucked off the shelf closest to our computer:

The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux.

"Go," said the conductor.
But I didn't want to go, for besides the overcrowded compartments of Europeans and Americans there were the compartments of Kurds, Turks, Iranians, and Afghans who slept on top of each other and cooked stews between their berths over dangerously flaring kerosene stoves.

The ferry moved off, hooting into the black lake.


(I love the last sentence!)

3 comments:

Rosemary said...

Teresa
Thanks so much for playing.
I too love the last sentence, so descriptive.

Anonymous said...

"Understanding the relationship between a class and its objects is integral to understanding how OOP works. For instance, one object can invoke functionality on another object, and can do so without affecting other objects of the same class. So if one car object was instructed to open its trunk, its trunk would open, but the trunks of other cars would remain closed - think of KITT, the talking car from the television show _Knight Rider_, if it helps with the metaphor."
- _Simply Rails 2_, by Patrick Lenz.

I live in a less poetic world these days.

We had our first real snowfall of the winter on Groundhog's day. About a half-inch of light flocking that stuck to bare branches and evergreens, leaving the entire area looking like a Hallmark card for most of the morning. Pretty much gone by mid-afternoon, and I didn't get a photo, darn it. I've lived here in Virginia since 1978 and I've never seen a prettier view.

- grampz2

Teresa said...

I haven't seen Knight Rider. So this is why my garage door opener works only on my garage door?

Riveting reading, Dic, ole boy!

What, no photo! Such a shame. Snow does something extraordinary to the everyday surroundings that can only be fully appreciated if 'snow days' are scarce.