Thursday, December 28, 2017

Faded and Jaded (2017)

Well, my swimsuit is fading, my skin is brown and dry and  I told Chris, "I don't want to go to that same old beach today. "  But indeed, after walking on the waterfront for 20 minutes, that is where we ended up, renting chaise lounge chairs from Antonio and getting our 2 drinks apiece.





Oh, but before all that beach time I ran in our Southside neighborhood which is a little like the start of the suburbs; jungle and dirt reloads mixed with newly paved streets lined with high walls behind which are condos and apartments. Oh, and have I mentioned?  There are several cenotes in the middle of the roads in our neighborhood. I verified this with a construction worker on the street.  He laughed at me when I asked.



The big mall Maya Centro is a  block or two away from us. At the end of my run I stopped at a patisserie and bought warm buttery croissants to go along with our fried eggs and fruit for breakfast in the condo. At sunset today we were watching the birds coming in to roost in the vacant lots next to our condo. The blue and green parrots are the prettiest. But the real excitement began when I slid the glass deck door behind me and it went "click." The panic that ensued, the yelling help in English and Spanish, the declaration by Chris that he was going to smash the window with his camera, and then the knees weak with relief when I  pressed my fingers to the glass and the door opened. The deck is right through the doors in this photo.


No comments: