Thursday, December 28, 2017

Throw the house out the window. (2017)

Yesterday I didn't write. I just needed to unwind after a late night dinner with our friends Katia, Raquel, and Patricia. This is the family we rented from last year. We ate at Amaro which although it was their choice, it was a restaurant we had intended on revisiting. It is a lovely place that originally was the home of the first governor Quintana Roo. We talked ourselves nearly hoarse covering family events and travels we had in the past year. By the end of three hours we had pretty well exhausted our respective bilingual limits, with them being much better equipped to speak English than I can speak Spanish. During our conversation, we got onto the topic of big parties (a conversation that began by discussing dentists; it would take too long to explain), anyway, they said in Mexico the phrase "Throw the house out the window." expresses throwing a big party. Travel brings us all so much closer to appreciating other cultures. While I might not remember the phrase in Spanish, the English translation will come to me the next time we go to a big bash and I will remember our friends in Merida.



No comments: