Thursday, December 28, 2017

Valentine's Day in Merida (2017)

Today we took it leisurely, enjoying the colonial charm of Valladolid. We had the breakfast buffet at Maria de la Luz for about $5./person. What an incredible deal! An omlette, fruit, pancakes, and much more if I had wanted. Chris saw the collection of folk art at Casa de los Venados and I browsed around town looking for other small hotels that we might stay at upon our return. I needed to put in plenty of walking to prepare myself for the two hour bus ride to Merida. We ate a delicious lunch at Squimz, a restaurant conveniently located next to the bus station in Vallodalid. Chris had the Cuban sandwich and I had grilled fish with garlic. The bus  is an air conditioned ride but the movies and tv shows in Spanish I could have done without. They were WAY too loud! Once off the bus we did our best to walk to Hotel Las Cascadas in the Santiago neighborhood. We were completely turned around and finally took a taxi. It is a lovely bed and breakfast with a pool deep enough for swimming but my gosh, the woman who owns the place took 45 minutes telling us all the rules and ins and outs of the neighborhood and she did so at a revved up speed when really all I wanted to do was shower. But, the liquidity with tequila she gave us certainly hit the spot. I do believe we will love it here, we just need a day to settle in and maybe we will feel less like 10 year olds under the eagle eye of the camp director in the morning.

Breakfast was always an event at "Las Cascadas"


Poolside orchid

Enjoying an afternoon liquado while swinging in a hammock

Water circulates up and around one side of  Las Cascadas , one area is a n aquarium that can be seen through a hallway window.


No comments: