Saturday, April 26, 2008

A Day in the Dirt


Saturday was a day to play in the dirt and Sunday looks like a repeat. It was hot. 70 degrees; that is hot enough for me. Any hotter and it is too exhausting to work outside. So today was perfect. I pulled a lot of weeds and I transplanted lots of plants that I had started inside. I even put pumpkins a lemon cucumber out although I wonder if that wasn't fool hardy. I have 3 more starts inside in case the ones outside croak. As you can see in the pictures there is a lot of color going on in my garden. I try and try to pull up some of the Wood and Grape Hyacinths but they only seem to multiply more. Everything looks especially pretty when viewed from our deck.



IMG_1572

This what I call 'a bee's view'. who doesn't like the inside of a tulip?

IMG_1571

Corydalis; it has a rather short season, dying by mid summer, but its blooms drape so gracefully right now.

IMG_1570

Lime green foliage at the fence line is especially striking and seems to add depth to the yard. Here is a Bleeding Heart and a Mock Orange.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Very nice. I just got a bleeding heart, but have yet to plant it. I love the mock orange this time of year. Im hoping for blooms this year. Its still a young plant.

Aiyana said...

The view from your deck is indeed lovely. I think I'd spend most of the day there, enjoying it. Your other photos are beautiful too. Happy GTS,
Aiyana

Aiyana said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mercedes said...

Beautiful garden of flowers! Maybe one day I will decide to become a green thumb!

I have a question for you. What grades have you taught or have you always taught Kindergarten? I am contemplating a grade change and wanted your input as a teacher. I am actually contemplating a huge jump: Kindergarten to Fifth grade.

Also~thanks for your kind words about Staisha~my little cousin.

verobirdie said...

You've got beautiful colors in your garden, and I love the bleeding heart. Mine it just coming out.