Thursday, March 12, 2015

Milepost 611

I started my day with a morning run in North Bend, viewing a lovely sunrise from the Boardwalk which was way too short to call a 'run' so then I headed up into neighborhoods and found that actually the best running place was around the huge mall parking lot where our hotel was. That plus a 7 minute workout in the hotel room got me ready for 4 hours in the car today. We passed cranberry bogs and fields of healthy looking Black Angus beeves. I kept hoping to see elk because there were elk crossing signs every few miles but they didn't make their presence known to us. Long pockets of fog broke through at Port Orford, Or. to reveal the spectacular coastal beach. I gasped in surprise; it was that beautiful and unexpected.



Down 101 we wove our way with stretches between redwood forests and viewpoint turnouts that just begged you to pull over.





Paul and Babe were around to greet us as we entered California. 


Tonight we are relaxed and totally 'at home' in Irene's place, in McKinnleyville, CA. We ate dinner at 6Rivers Brewery. The salmon tacos were tasty but Chris' burger was overdone and the place was awfully noisy. The beer menu looked great but they were out of the cherry-blackberry cider I wanted so I stuck with water. Tomorrow will be an off day with time to explore a nearby beach or the redwoods or one of the small coastal towns.




1 comment:

AnnaRae said...

That view is so pretty!! Nice that it was clear out for you! Crazy-- I'm remembering now that Mike and I ALSO ate at 6 Rivers Brewery! I think there aren't that many places, so it is not surprising that we hit the same stops.